Friday, April 2, 2010

THETA II

Click here if you haven't read part one.

Now skip forward a few years. I was twelve years old and I just got my first computer, a Commodore 64. To me the computer was the most powerful thing in the world. With a computer there wasn’t anything you couldn’t do. So of course I was determined to learn to program this computer and gain this incredible power.

I began reading the little book that came with the computer entitled, “BASIC Programming on the Commodore 64.” I might as well have been reading a book written in a foreign language (actually I guess part of it was).

I read through the entire book and when finished I was no closer to learning to program a computer than when I began. So I read the book over and over and over again. I can remember going back and reading single paragraphs again and again trying to understand what I was being told, but I just didn’t get it.

But then something clicked!

I can still remember it vividly. I was reading the chapter on variables and it was making sense. This led to the other sections in the book making sense and within the next few months I had created this little sword fighting game which I thought I was going to sell and make millions.

Okay, I didn’t make millions. I didn’t even make a $1. Give me a break I was only twelve.

But getting back to the point the question is what in me clicked? What was it that suddenly led me to understand what I was reading in that book?

Let’s take it even farther. Without someone instructing me or telling me how to do it, what led me to not only understand the information from the pages of that book but also take that information and transfer it to the logical flow needed to make a computer program come to life and do what you want it do?

My subconscious was playing a part. But how did my subconscious know what to do?

The answer…

My subconscious mind already knew how to program a computer.

To be continued…

The Theta Class

No comments:

Post a Comment